Campus bomb-sniffer retires, honored by university

Photo courtesy of csusm.edu.
Photo courtesy of csusm.edu.
Photo courtesy of csusm.edu.
Photo courtesy of csusm.edu.

By Elizabeth Cruz

CSUSM’s very first bomb-sniffing K-9 retired after three years of service last week with a ceremonial salute.

On Tuesday, Nov. 12, UPD honored Vince, a black Labrador. Vince was trained as an Explosive Ordnance Detection (EOD) dog and was the only police K-9 with this skill in North County. This made him a constant resource for reports of suspicious packages. He was not trained to bite and, according to his handler, Sgt. Derouin, Vince “does not have a mean bone in his body.”

Having experienced his playful and energetic demeanor, it is easy to see why Vince was a favorite to the CSUSM community. Vince roamed the campus during his 12 hour shifts making appearances for students and working his usual rounds to make sure the campus was a safe place for everyone.

Vince also helped our county by working Charger games at Qualcomm Stadium, Comicon at the San Diego Convention Center and also attended local schools to perform demonstrations for young students.

Some groups raise concern as to the humaneness of working animals like police dogs.

“How happy would your dog be if he got to go to work with you every day?” Sgt. Ray Derouin said.

Vince worked from the age of about four and a half years old and was retired approximately a year early due to hip dysplasia: a genetic disease commonly seen in his breed. Though Vince could continue to work with the aid of pain medications, VP Hawk and Chief McManus with UPD have decided that Vince has fulfilled his duties as a police K-9, and the rest of his years should be spent chasing tennis balls and being a regular dog.

He will now live out the rest of his days as a family pet with another CSUSM police officer, Tony Maraschiello.

The K-9 pilot program was deemed very successful, and with Vince’s help our school earned the title of the safest public university in California two years in a row. CSUSM does plan on obtaining another EOD dog, there will most likely be a delay until sometime in May or June because of budget and staffing related issues.