Students can watch the NAIA’s best for free

De’End Parker drives the lane earlier this season. Photo by CSUSM athletics. Visit website at www.csusmcougars.com
De'End Parker drives the lane earlier this season. Photo by CSUSM athletics. Visit website at www.csusmcougars.com

By: Justin Donner

Sports Editor

The CSUSM men’s basketball team is ranked No. 1 in the national NAIA standings, and they have only one more regular-season home game to play against Bethesda tonight, Tuesday, Feb. 11 at 7:30 p.m in the MiraCosta gym.

With admission being free for students, this is the perfect opportunity to witness a piece of history in CSUSM athletics.

This season started off with the Cougars playing the San Diego State Aztecs, a NCAA Division I program, in an exhibition game. The Aztecs are now ranked No. 5 in the nation on both the AP Top 25 and USA Today Coaches’ Poll.

CSUSM lost this matchup, but definitely held their own against a nationally ranked division I program. At one point, the score was 58-55 at the 8:26 mark of the second half. If this was not an exhibition game, Jason Johnson’s 27 points for CSUSM, would currently be the second highest on the season, falling only behind De’End Parker’s 28 against Vanguard. This game was a strong predictor of the high caliber of play we have seen from the Cougars this year.

“I think we are the best brand of basketball in North County,” CSUSM head Coach Jim Saia said at the beginning of the season.

Jim Saia’s brand of basketball seems to be working for the Cougars, as they were the first team in the country to reach 20 wins on the season after their 86-73 victory over Simpson on Jan. 18. They are currently boasting a 25-1 record overall, and they have remained on the national poll for 20 straight weeks. A streak that dates back to last season’s preseason rankings.

If you happen to miss this upcoming regular-season home game, the final appearance for the Cougars will be March 1 with a 7:30 p.m. start time. This exhibition game, against St. Katherine, will honor the team’s seniors.

These last two home appearances offer students a great chance to see the rapidly developing athletic department representing them at CSUSM.