InterVarsity: Connecting to campus through community

Photo provided by Noelle Friedberg
Photo provided by Noelle Friedberg
Photo provided by Noelle Friedberg
Photo provided by Noelle Friedberg

Staff Writer: Noelle Friedberg

InterVarsity Christian Fellowship is an international organization that focuses on campus ministry with a vision “to see students and faculty transformed, campuses renewed and world changers developed.”

At first, the club appears to be a group of students who have gathered together with nothing in common. It’s a collection of athletes, Greeks, international students and people just trying to graduate, who all come together with this one shared desire: to know Jesus and to make Him known.  

My first experience with InterVarsity was two years ago. I had just graduated from high school and was coming into college not knowing what to expect. At first I was overwhelmed by all of the new people. As a new student, it is often just easier to go to class and then leave campus, rather than try to make new friends. That is where InterVarsity came in. I started going to their events, and was instantly amazed by how loving and encouraging the community is. They made me feel so welcome that I just had to stick around and get more involved.

One of the best things about being a part of InterVarsity is that every spring break they do this thing called Mark Camp. It’s a week on Catalina Island, where members spend time going through the Bible and going deeper into the gospel of Jesus through the book of Mark. Some of my fondest memories of college have been made there, as well as some of my most lasting friendships. Every Wednesday they have a weekly meeting called Large Group where a speaker shares a message, and afterwards we all hang out at In-N-Out. They also have various Bible studies on campus throughout the week. The Bible studies really focus on being a place of encouragement, and are a great place to make new friends and connect to campus.

If you want to know more about InterVarsity, when and where we meet, or more about our Spring Break trip, check out the website ivsanmarcos.org.