Trader Joe’s implements grocery bag fee

Photo provided by skinnybymonday.com
Photo provided by skinnybymonday.com

By Lauren Hammond Opinion/Copy Editor   

Various Trader Joe’s locations throughout California are now charging customers for grocery bags in the hopes of minimizing environmental waste.

T.J.’s is no stranger to promoting higher standards of consumption. The grocery stores are best recognized for their plethora of cost-efficient organic local meats and produce and their non-GMO ingredients. Stores emphasize the importance of good quality food and service. They even accommodate gluten-free, kosher and plant-based dieters. T.J.’s also focuses much of its attention on aiding environmental preservation.

According to the website “Eco-conscious,” in 1977 T.J.’s became the first grocery company to market the sale of reusable shopping bags, a campaign known as “Save a Tree.” In Sept. 2012, the company announced their decision to charge customers 10 cents for each paper bag used when shopping. Charges were originally implemented in the Santa Monica location in 2011 after a city ordinance was set in place to eliminate plastic bag waste as well as to help regulate and minimize paper bag usage.

Not all areas of Southern California have been affected by the new fee declaration. However, city locations neighboring San Marcos, including Los Angeles, Long Beach and San Gabriel, have implemented charges and the trend is sure to spread towards the San Diego area.

The goal of the new bag fee is to help decrease paper pollution by promoting the one-time purchase of reusable bags. Although some have noted their distaste for the new charges, this remains a small but effective way for such a popular and renowned corporation to help increase environmental consciousness through its wide array of customers.

Waste continues to have a devastating impact on the United States ecosystem. Employing this sort of change will force a sense of awareness at a time when it is imperative for the US population to begin embracing cleaner consumption habits.