The Uterus Flag Project creates a shock

Photo provided by Anne Hall

By Anne Hall

Staff Writer/ Layout Designer

As I walked into the student library, I was anticipating a cloud of people showing interest in this provocatively titled project.

The campus library released the Uterus Flag Project on Feb. 10 and it will remain until May 20.  This installation, provided by Terilynn Quick, is a compilation of small flags that are adorned with uterus made by people from all over the nation. So much detail exists in each piece. 

Yet, the space was like a ghost town. I was in awe at the ideas shared by artists who addressed the issues of women’s health and the blessings that exist with being a woman and having the ability to conceive.

While finding myself impressed and awe struck, I noticed that I was being watched. Passerby’s were laughing at me for admiring the artists work. Others appeared to avoid the display, as if they were going to catch some kind of disease if they came too close.

Eventually, a friend of mine decided to draw attention to passers by, and lured individuals to come and consider the artwork. Once one person started admiring Terilynn’s presentation, more and more people began finding interest. Once the pieces were noticed, interest was struck and people began admiring all of the display.

“The art work is amazing,” student, Erin Taylor, said.

This is a presentation that truly touches the core of existence. Take a moment to observe and appreciate the artistry and creativeness.