Being vegetarian

Being vegetarian

By Resty Grey

American society is eating too much meat and not enough vegetables.

I am willing to bet the last thing you ate had some sort of processed meat added to the plate to give the meal a sense of “completeness.” Vegans and vegetarians have a good chance of winning that bet, but I think the odds are in my favor.

Why do we eat dead animals? Most of us have come to believe that it is our best source for protein, but where do you think the animals get their protein? Our society is consuming too much protein and not enough micronutrients. When protein is consumed in abundance, the nutrients that are not immediately used become stored as fat. In a time where feast or famine was normal, storing fat would be ideal. However, the advancements in our contemporary culture make the convenience of the dollar menu too accessible.

Eating has changed from a conscious decision of sustenance to a habitual action to fulfill some innate desire to feel good. Don’t get me wrong. I think meat is delicious, but so are cigarettes. There are countless studies showing the positive benefits from reducing the amount of animal intake.

Fun Fact! Cholesterol is only found in animal products.

Meat seems to dominate our culture. Men are seen as wussies if they refrain from eating meat. Satirical twitter account @overlymanlyman makes apparent our societal stereotypes by tweeting, “How do I like my steak? Next to my other steak.”

In her book Main Street Vegan, Victoria Moran states “at some point it entered the collective consciousness that meat and masculinity were inextricably linked.” But it’s 2014 Victoria, I thought we were past those preconceived notions of inequality between genders; apparently not.

I’m pesco-lacto-ovo-vegetarian, but let’s just refer to it as semi-vegetarian. I still eat eggs, cheese and fish, but I have completely cut out cow, pig and chicken from my diet. I have abstained for two months, and I honestly feel fantastic. I don’t feel weak, sick or deprived in any way. My body feels and looks better. Aside from eating, I’m active; serving tables, running, riding and playing basketball. My stomach never feels heavy from food and I feel an increase in my energy. My bowel movements are timely, meaning my digestive system is working properly and I have a greater appreciation for vegetables.

Since cutting out practically 33 percent of my diet, I have been filling that excess space with delicious nutrient-dense whole grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes and nuts; what vegetarians would consider their five basic food groups. My eating changed from a habitual action to a conscious decision. I became aware of how much animal flesh I actually consumed on a daily basis. I no longer believe dead animals should be a staple food group, but I can still enjoy the occasional tilapia and fish sinigang my mother loves to cook when I come home to visit.

Next meal, instead of letting your next meal pick you, try to remember the last time you ate a bright green granny smith apple, or even add crisp red cabbage on your burger instead of habitually buying that bland, dead animal.