Cougar sighting by Lot F

By Nada Sewidan

A mountain lion sighting occurred on Wednesday, Feb. 12 in CSUSM parking lot F.

A reliable source confirmed the sighting to CSUSM campus police at 10:00 a.m. Although the sighting was confirmed, CSUSM campus police officers did not have a visual on the animal. There is a special protocol CSUSM campus police officers follow once a sighting as this one is called in.

CSUSM Sgt. Herman Hernandez explained that if a sighting is confirmed from a reliable source who can accurately describe the animal, then campus police notifies CSUSM students and staff via e-mail. A patrol officer is sent to the scene where the sighting was originally reported and conducts a visual evaluation of the perimeter. Campus police also notifies the San Diego County Fish and Game Department. The Fish and Game Department sends an officer to patrol the area and once the animal is spotted, it is captured, tagged and eventually released back in the wild. Sgt. Hernandez said the only circumstance where an officer would shoot the wild animal is when it is life threatening to people nearby.

Sergeant Hernandez said CSUSM campus police officers are trained and briefed on how to respond to mountain lion and other wildlife sightings on campus. He emphasized that students and staff should be familiar with the procedure as well.

“Keep the campus police phone number programmed in your cell phone,” Sgt. Hernandez said. “Whenever wildlife related, or anything else, it’s always good to be aware of your surroundings.”

In the past 10 years, there have been a total of 3 to 5 both confirmed and non-confirmed mountain lion sightings. Other animals that have been previously found around the perimeter include bobcats and coyotes.

In order to maximize safety in situations as this, students and staff are also advised to not run from the animal and to not seem intimidated, but make themselves seem as large as possible.

Parking lot looking into hills
Parking Lot F, where a mountain lion was sighted Feb. 12. Photo by Sarah Hughes