CSUSM Growing at a Fast Pace

President Haynes gives her report to the community. Photo by Meg Aida

By Sarah Hughes

Woman at podium

In the President’s Report to the community, Karen Haynes gave her 10th annual address, relating the accomplishments and future of CSUSM to community leaders.

The event was held Sunday, Feb. 9, in an Event Pavillion set up in Lot N. The report discussed the achievements of the students, faculty and programs. Haynes presented many stories of successful students to illustrate the impact of CSUSM programs.

The fuschia-suited Haynes began with a recap of how CSUSM has grown under her leadership since her start Feb. 1, 2004. About the struggle to become a modern education model during a recession, Haynes said, “Could any of us have imagined how far, how fast we have come?”

To illustrate CSUSM’s growth, Haynes went through a list of what had doubled and increased at CSUSM in her time as President. The student population has increased from 6,000 to 12,000 according to Haynes. Buildings have doubled from 10 to 20. Academic Degree Offerings have increased from 27 to 58. Athletic teams have more than doubled. The Alumni has grown from 13,000 to 35,000. The employees at CSUSM has increased from 700 to 1,900. The endowment has been raised from $10 million to $20 million.

An endowment is the total amount of money or property donated and invested for a university. There are rules for how it’s utilized and it mainly goes to aiding students.

“Over a three-year period, $143 million in new endowment gifts has been added to endowments throughout the CSU. Collectively, CSU institutions distributed nearly $32 million from endowment in support of student scholarships, faculty research and academic programs. Endowment investments gained an average 20.38% percent in 2010-2011, recovering much of the losses incurred from 2007-2009,” the 2010/11 Philanthropic Annual Report on calstate.edu stated.

Haynes’ speech addressed goals CSUSM is working towards, including more campus space and the desire to improve educational rates in the region.

“Riverside and San Diego counties are among a handful of counties in California that have experienced a moderate or even robust growth in high school graduates,” Haynes said. “However, the statistics show that most of the growth is in populations not expected to go past high school, if that far. Statistics also indicate that California will be short one million college educated workers by 2025.”

Hayne’s goal to increase educational rates in the area is tied closely for her with persons who are at risk of not graduating college. Haynes touched on the Ace dollars service program for former foster youths, as well as other vital causes.

“We now educate more former foster youth per capita than any institution in the United States,” Haynes said.

Former foster children appear to face incredible odds and disadvantages that affect their ability to obtain a college education.

“Surveys report that there are 500,000 foster youth in the United States. Even though 70 percent of them desire a college experience, most age out of foster care only to find themselves ill-prepared and unsupported for success: 65 percent become homeless, 20 percent are arrested or incarcerated, and less than two percent graduate from college,” CSUSM Steps Magazine stated, in an article referencing the scholarships.

Students walking up Craven Drive may have recently noticed signs for a “Report to the Community” and/or emails from the Office of Communications. Many of these messages were an effort to inform them of the President’s annual Report to the Community.

Though the report has come and gone, it can still be viewed through watching the video versions available online in a 34 minute version and a five minute summary posted on the days after the speech.