American Gods: A modern lore that is a timeless tale

american gods

By Katie Garner

Myths and legends are the odd ingredients that shape us, and our cultures. Religions follow humanity wherever we go. America contains some of most divergent beliefs and cultural systems in the world. Starting with tales told by Native Americans, mythologies have poured into America via the mass migration from settlers worldwide. What if, then, every single one of these old gods were alive and struggling to survive in this young country?

Neil Gaiman asks this question in his novel, American Gods. The story follows the reticent Shadow, an ex-con who upon his release from prison finds that his wife has died. Alone and without a home, Shadow meets Mr. Wednesday, a mysterious con-man who offers Shadow a job as his bodyguard.

Soon Shadow’s world turns upside down as he discovers that all Gods not only exist, but exist amongst humans and are preparing for war. The Old Gods are clashing with the New Gods, which in America are represented by the various deities of Media, Technology and the Black Hats. Mr. Wednesday, who reveals himself early on as an incarnation of Odin, recruits Shadow to rally the Old Gods against the New Gods. But in a country where beliefs are shrinking every day, can Shadow help these Old Gods survive?

American Gods is a powerful, enchanting story etched with folklore in every page. Lovers of fantasy fiction will adore this novel tremendously. This book is ripe with myths from cultures all over the world. Neil Gaiman weaves a poignant, but humorous, tale that starts off at a slow pace that soon dives right into a journey that will you keep you entertained and thoughtful. American Gods has won multiple prestigious awards since its publication in 2001, including the Hugo, Nebula and Locus awards.