Netflix Review: Man of Tai Chi

Movie Poster of Man of Tai Chi
Movie Poster of Man of Tai Chi

By Ryan Downs

Senior Staff Writer

One of the better things about Netflix is its showcase not only of western films, but also foreign films. This allows martial arts movies that normally would go straight-to-DVD, like Ip Man or The Raid: Redemption, to become surprise cult hits.

Standing in the middle of these, in a bold attempt to merge both western and international audiences alike, is Man of Tai Chi. It is primarily a Chinese martial arts film. However, it features American star Keanu Reeves in two uncommon roles; the villain and, for the first time in his career, the director.

The story attempts to tell a martial arts legend in a contemporary setting. It focuses the story on Tiger Chen (Chen Hu in his film debut), a young practitioner of Lin Kong Tai Chi, an ancient Chinese method of exercise and meditation. However Tiger comes to learn that this peaceful art can be applied in combat as well. It is stunningly effective, even though it strays from the art’s purpose. Nonetheless, it is not long before Tiger attracts the attention of Donaka Mark (Reeves), the head of an underground fighting ring. He sees Tiger’s potential and tempts him with money and fame. Tiger needs it to save his master’s temple from demolition.

It is not long before Tiger’s involvement with the fighting ring begins to corrupt his character. Worse still, it becomes clear that Mark is conditioning him into something deadlier than just another fighter. It may be too late for him to escape.

For the most part, the film works for the same reason Keanu Reeves works. It’s simple, cool and strangely likeable. On the other hand, like the actor, it tends to get awkward when it tries too hard and there are some embarrassingly silly moments. However, Reeves is understated as ever both in front of, and behind, the camera.

Coupled with some awesome fight choreography from Hollywood legend Yuen Wo Ping, the end result is a straightforward but enjoyable action flick.

3/5 Cougar Paws!