Art vibe of San Marcos

OMAaltered-landscapes

By Ryan Downs

Senior Staff Writer

Art has always been an important institution on campus, with exhibits commonly being featured in both the library and the Arts Building. But what many may not know about is the off-campus gallery in Old California. CSUSM owns the gallery and features artwork both for, and at times by, the students behind the Old California Coffee House, neighboring IHOP and the movie theater. The gallery was founded in early 2012, and outlasted most of its neighboring businesses in the area during that time. Since then, it acts as both a celebration and a gathering place for artistic minded individuals both on and off campus.The gallery showcased a multitude of artists in the past. For the first time, it has formed a joint partnership with the Oceanside Museum of Art to display the “Altered Landscapes” Exhibit, with a student art showcase set to premier on March 14.

“We change the exhibits every six weeks,” Marilyn Huerta said. “So we generally have about two or three exhibits per semester.” This does not include the exhibits over summer, during which the gallery remains open. While the Altered Landscapes Exhibit is set to hold its closing reception on Friday March 7. The student art showcase Redefined II is set to hold its opening reception on the March 14, featuring a performance by the Cal State San Marcos Jazz Ensemble. The off-campus gallery is open Fridays and Saturdays from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and located at Old California Restaurant Row, 1080 W. San Marcos Blvd., San Marcos in the village shops area.  Admission is free to both students and the public.