Heart Beat: Benefits of probiotics for health and fitness

Yogurt+is+a+good+source+of+probiotics.+Photo+provided+by+Rachel+Gallego.+
Yogurt is a good source of probiotics. Photo provided by Rachel Gallego.

By: Rachel Gallego

Probiotics, also known as “good” bacteria, are live microorganisms that inhabit our bodies naturally.

They have become of popular interest recently because of the supposed health benefits.

Although the FDA has not yet approved any of its health claims, probiotics are used to help with certain health conditions, especially with the digestive health of our gastrointestinal tracts.

The body, especially the gastrointestinal tract, is host to many different species of bacteria that are not considered to be germs, but necessary for proper functioning. Probiotics, which are found in products like supplements and yogurt, contain similar bacteria that are beneficial for our gut.

Although sufficient scientific evidence is lacking for specific uses of probiotics, the research is looking promising. The possible beneficial mechanisms of probiotics for human health include reducing harmful microorganisms in the GI tract and producing antimicrobial compounds, which either destroy or suppress the growth of unwanted bacteria. Probiotics may also stimulate the immune response.

While there still needs to be strong evidence provided on probiotics, they generally seem to be safe for use. Talk to your doctor before using probiotics.