Winter in the Blood

From L-R: Casey Camp-Horenik, Alex Smith, Rebecca Lush, Andrew Smith, Ken White. Photo taken by Jonathan Berman, provided by Rebecca Lush.

By Katlin Sweeney

Editor-in-Chief

Students, faculty and staff gathered on campus last week to watch the film adaptation of Winter in the Blood, the classic 1974 novel of the same name by James Welch.

The sold out event, which took place on Wednesday, March 26, introduced audience members to the work of Welch, a pivotal author in Native-American literature. Joining the audience to enjoy the film were co-directors Alex and Andrew Smith, screenwriter Ken White, and actress Casey Camp-Horenik.

The event opened with an introduction by Professor Rebecca Lush, a Literature & Writing professor and Film Studies coordinator at CSUSM who put together the film screening. After viewing Winter in the Blood, a Q&A session took place so that audience members could ask questions to the four guests.

Combining moments of humor, sadness, and hope, Winter in the Blood impressed audience members with its unique story line and the vision of its creators.

Students interested in the film can check out this link: http://winterinthebloodfilm.com/