Restaurant Review: The Habit Burger Grill

By Rico Palmerin

Located hardly 10 minutes from CSUSM campus, the Habit Burger Grill provides a refreshing and inexpensive food stop.

On the menu, the Habit flaunts the slogan “There’s no substitute for quality!” Rest assured, the small restaurant takes its slogan seriously. With virtually all of the menu being under 10 bucks, the Habit is the perfect place for any college student looking for an affordable and filling meal.

The Habit goes for a mix between beachside grill and modern restaurant with metallic high chairs, wood floors and tables and various, small lighting. Providing an easy-going mood, the Habit plays a mixture of soft rock and rock music and has several beach-themed paintings on the walls.

As for the food and menu, the Habit is strikingly reminiscent of the popular fast food joint In N Out Burger. The menu can easily be divided into three main categories: Charbugers, grilled sandwiches and fresh salads. Smaller categories include a kids section, sides and cold desserts, such as shakes, malts and cones.

The Habit’s food is exceptionally prepared and arrives with that look that says “we took care to prepare this”—as opposed to the fast food look of “we made this as fast as we could.”

Considering flavor, the double Charburger (two ground beef patties) is superb, and the flavor lasts ‘till the final bite. Each burger is customizable and favorites like avocado, mushrooms and bacon can be added for a small fee. Also, the fries aren’t bad, just not as memorable as the main course.

For a burger grill, the Habit’s salads are surprisingly elaborate and include a variety of vegetables that taste extremely fresh. If you’re picky about your dressings, they offer several different choices, a few being blue cheese, vinaigrette and classic ranch.

If you’re a fan of In N Out or other fast food burger joints and looking for something a little bit classier, chances are you’ll find the Habit to be right up your alley. If burgers aren’t your thing, the Habit maintains quality in all categories of the menu, so give it a try!

The Habit Burger Grill is located on the corner of San Marcos Blvd. and Grande Ave: 727 W San Marcos Blvd.  For detailed information about the Habit, including nutritional information, check out their various webpages: www.habitburger.com, Facebook.com/habitburger, Twitter @habtburger and Youtube.com/habittube