International Beat: A Semester in Sweden

By Emma Grace Fairchild

When I landed in the Arlanda airport in Stockholm, Sweden, all of it kind of hit me – I was in Sweden, I was staying here for months, I was studying abroad.

Four weeks later, I feel like I’ve been here for much longer.  Sure, I still get lost, and even yesterday I bought weird food from the grocery store on accident. But other than hiccups like that, I am comfortable and confident in my new home.

After months of applications and emails, I arrived in Stockholm to study social work. And although I’m fairly confident and adaptable overall, I certainly didn’t expect to settle into the swing of Stockholm so effortlessly. Maybe it is because I always wanted to be in Sweden, or maybe because of the wonderful friend living here who showed me the ropes those first few days. Regardless, one month into my adventure and I feel confident in my environment and excited to explore.

A huge adjustment was the climate. It gets cold sometimes in San Diego, but here I need waterproof boots, a super thick jacket, scarves and hats and gloves that serve more purpose than fashion. The days have been cold, snowy or rainy, and the nights long and dark (Sunrise at 8… sunset by 3).

One of the biggest differences from home in Escondido is how I get around. In San Diego, the public transportation frankly sucks. To get around Stockholm, it is easier to take a bus, the metro or walk than drive. You can buy a monthly pass at a student price (no limits on the discounted price, either) and use it to travel the entire city. The buses and subways are clean, easy to maneuver and run through the nights. Streets in Sweden are well lit, have a bike path and walking path away from the road, and feel incredibly safe.

Many people told me before my departure that Swedes are very friendly. This seems to be true, as long as I present myself as approachable first. Probably because we are in a big city, people keep to themselves. Still, no matter if I stop and ask for directions, or to translate something in the grocery store, I have found people are not only helpful and friendly, but that everyone speaks English! I think this is a big part of why I am adjusting to Stockholm so easily- if I am lost, or curious, or confused, I just ask.

There is another aspect of this as well, and that is I am not alone! There are hundreds of other students in my same boat. In some cases, I have an advantage because English is my native language. But here we are, far from home and our regular routine, making a fantastic decision to change our lives and opportunities into something different. We have not one, but two, universities to support us, a will to try something different and the opportunity to do so in a beautiful, albeit cold, new home.