Bringing attention to an Invisible Threat

By Katlin Sweeney

Editor-in-Chief

A group of film production students from Carlsbad High School have taken on the controversy over whether vaccinations are effective investments or foundation for disaster.

“Invisible Threat,” the latest installment in the talented teenagers’ series of eye-opening documentaries, explores the variance of opinions that arise when parents contemplate the best way to take care of their children. They interviewed families, physicians and experts about what the positive effects of vaccination are, as well as discuss the myths of how harmful they are to children.

“Invisible Threat” was created entirely by students, directed by Douglas Green, written by Camille Posard and narrated by Mark Huckaby. Like their past projects, it was funded by the Rotary Club, with no stipulations on their part.

“It is done entirely by high school students, without any influence from adults. They did the research and interviewing, they wrote the script, and it’s very exciting. After the screening, we will have speakers such as a couple physicians and someone with a biology background. We’re really promoting health literacy,” one of the coordinators of the event, Dr. Laura de Ghetaldi, said.

The young filmmakers have found controversial topics to be their niche in the documentary realm. Before “Invisible Threat,” their first film was on the survivors of the Holocaust. This was followed by “One in Seven,” which took a critical look at the fact that at the time of filming, one in seven people in North County had hunger insecurities. By the time of production, the figures had changed to one in five people and one in four children.  Their next project will be about SeaWorld and killer whales.

The screening of “One in Seven” at a film festival is what created the link between Dr. Laura de Ghetaldi and Lisa Posard, the mother of one of the filmmakers. De Ghetaldi called Posard to introduce herself, thus spiraling into the CSUSM Kinesiology Club’s partnership with Donate Don’t Dump and now the screening of “Invisible Threat” on campus. This is thanks to multiple partners with Kinesiology Club, Dr. de Ghetaldi citing Hugo Lecomte and the Rec Center as one of their biggest supporters for the event.

Invisible Threat is being shown across the country, and students have the opportunity to watch the film for themselves. It will be shown on campus from 7 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. on Tuesday, March 4 in Clarke Grand Salon, Room 113.  Students can also view the film from 5 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. on Wednesday, March 5 at Temeku Cinemas in Temecula. Temeku Cinemas is located at 26463 Ynez Rd, Temecula, CA 92591. Both screenings are free.

For more information, contact Dr. Laura de Ghetaldi at [email protected].