Restaurant Review: Wrench and Rodent Seabasstropub

wr_3By Nikki Thomas

Wrench & Rodent Seabasstropub is a local’s sushi joint. You wouldn’t notice it at first because there is not a sign up and it is attached to Bull Taco, a Mexican restaurant.

But once you arrive you’ll be glad you did. The Seabasstropub gives off a surfer-rock flair. It has surf boards and skateboards posted up, as well as United Kingdom Flag artwork over green mossy walls. The space has a cozy feeling because it can’t be bigger than 500 square feet. Our server was actually a sushi-chef (he broke his arm so he could only serve until it was healed) so he knew to hook us up with good choices.

We started off with a Beach Honey beer ($5.50) and a fruit wine ($6), where you can choose flavors such as raspberry or pomegranate. The wine had a very unique, sangria-like taste. For starters we opted for the Ceviche Flight ($8), which changes daily. When I tried it, it included a tuna tartare, mango infused yellowtail and albacore with miso glaze. It was served with an extra large puffed sesame crisp that had an unfamiliar, crunchy texture but paired well with the soft delicate fish.  The next round was hamachi nigiri, at just $5 a pair you can’t beat it! Nigiri sushi are slices of yellowtail fish over a bed of rice. One order had an arugula chimichurri and pickled red onion sauce, it was very creative and extremely tasty. Next to it was the traditional style, with the yellowtail belly over rice, and lemon to drizzle on top, which just melts in your mouth, to die for.

After, we moved on to the sushi rolls, which included The Chronic ($12) and the Hedgehog ($13). The Chronic was crab, spicy tuna and avocado, wrapped in rice then seaweed and flash fried for a crunchy exterior. It was finished off with a spicy aioli as well as a sweet citrus sauce, excellent. The Hedgehog was different; it was a shrimp tempura roll inside with seared yellowtail on top finished with roasted garlic, truffle oil, salt and pepper. It was a little overwhelming and only recommended for those who like extra garlicky, spicy truffle flavors. After that we ordered some salmon sashimi that tasted extra fresh and amazing. We could tell this place makes sure their fish is top-notch quality. To finish off dinner we chose a raspberry-rum sorbet ($5) that was huge and icy with a deep purple color, a perfect way to end the night.

These chefs have a true passion for presentation and display their creativity beautifully through their ingredients and fish selection.  They profess that their “ingredients are carefully chosen, grown ourselves or made from scratch” and that is apparent at this new joint.  If you want to try some new-age sushi try out Wrench and Rodent Seabasstropub! It is located on 1815 South Coast Highway in Oceanside.