Student leader encourages peers to advocate for change

Katlin Sweeney, Editor-in-Chief

Student leaders like Brandy Williams have the ability to mobilize their peers to advocate for changes they want to see on their campus and in their local communities.

Williams, who is a second year sociology major and ethnic studies minor, is active in multiple organizations on campus as a member of Black Student Union, treasurer of the History Club, Resident Advisor at The Quad and part of game management for the NCAA team. In the past, she has also been a member of Resident Hall Council.

Upon graduating in 2018, Williams plans to get an M.A. and Ph.D. in sociology. After completing her graduate studies, she intends to teach high school and eventually become a sociology professor and activist. Her interests are in advocating for and educating people about the black community.

“Because I am African, I always promote the empowerment of my people. But I also want everyone to get the same sense of empowerment for themselves, regardless of background,” she said. “ … As a student leader, I have to speak up. I don’t mind speaking up for someone else because I have a strong voice and I know it will be heard.”

Williams said that being a student leader at CSUSM has taught her the importance of being intersectional when advocating for social justice. When she is on campus, she enjoys spending time in the LGBTQA Pride Center, Gender Equity Center, Latin@ Center and Cross-Cultural Center to learn more about the various communities at CSUSM.

“I want to fight for the underdog or whoever does not have a voice in different spaces,” she said. “That could be people of color, the disabled community, or the LGBTQA community; being at CSUSM and seeing so many groups left behind and pushed back makes me want to stand with them in solidarity.”

Her recent activism efforts include speaking out at the recent ASI Board of Directors meeting on Friday, Feb. 19 about the need for a black student center on campus.

Williams said that she relies on her “village” for support in her academics and activism, citing Director of Student Inclusion, Robert Aiello-Hauser and Latin@ Center Assistant Director, Maria Mendoza-Bautista as major influences.

“The number one thing to be successful is to get help instead of thinking you can do everything yourself,” she said. “It takes a village for everything. Invest in yourself and realize you don’t know everything yet, but that’s okay.”