CSUSM fraternities hosts Rush Week

Madison Scrivano, A&E Editor

With the beginning of the semester already upon us, students find themselves meeting new people, stressing out about starting new classes and joining new organizations.

The Greek fraternities at Cal State San Marcos will put on a week-long event called Rush Week from Sep. 12 to 16, during which the members will take time to get to know possible recruits. Each fraternity puts on events throughout the week, including Laser Tag, Soccer Night, Alumni Night and BBQs. The first Greek Life event will be the Greek Leadership Council Kick-Off Event, which will take place from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Monday, Sep. 12 in the USU Ballroom.

At the end of the week, fraternity members extend membership invitations to prospective new members.

“The events the Greek organizations throw are a way to place students in different environments and settings than they are used to, and these settings put them in situations in which they can build lasting friendships,” said active Sigma Chi member Brandon Beach.

“Greek Men’s Recruitment week is all about people who want to come and get to know fraternity organizations on campus that they’d like to consider joining,” Beach said. “It’s a very non-committal and informal way to get to know the organizations without feeling as though you have to join.”

“Joining Greek life doesn’t mean that you’re joining all of the negative stereotypes that come along with it”,  Beach said. “There’s so much greatness to these organizations and a lot of diversity involved, that unless you come and experience it for yourself, you won’t fully understand what it’s all about”.

Among the benefits of joining Greek Life, Beach said, are “philanthropy opportunities, and connecting with your campus and the student body. [Greek life] also makes CSUSM feel a lot less like a commuter school and more like a community.”

Sigma Chi also hosts an Alumni Night for students to make connections with graduates.  “This is a chance for students who are considering joining Greek life to get to know others who have already graduated and view how joining the organizations has opened opportunities for them,” Beach said.

Beach urged students to come into the experience with an open mind.

“Don’t let others influence your decisions because at the end of the day, you’re the only one who can choose if it’s a right fit for you,” he said.