CSUSM students participate in Aids Walk and Run

Korie Houston, Videographer

At the 27th AIDS Walk and Run in San Diego on Sept. 24, participants and volunteers came together in recognition of the continuing struggle of HIV in the LGTBQA+ community.

The 5k run is held annually in the Hillcrest neighborhood in San Diego. People can sign up in groups, as a runner, a walker, a virtual walker, individually or even as a volunteer. This event is put on by The Center, otherwise known as the San Diego LGBT Community Center.

This year, more than 20 CSUSM students helped to set up the route that the runners would be on. A mixture of staff from the LGTBQA+ Pride Center, research method students and the sorority Alpha Pi Sigma represented CSUSM. The students were also tasked with cheering on the runners who made their way to the finish line. Although CSUSM didn’t actively participate in the run they made sure to support in other ways.

CBS 8 anchor and event host, Gene Kang, warmed up the crowd for the entertainment. While they waited for the race to start, the San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus serenaded the crowd with “Never Walk Alone.” With hundreds of participants the volunteers were kept busy throughout the morning.

CSUSM junior Emma Corrin volunteered at the event. When asked how she felt about being a volunteer this year she said, “Although there is public awareness surrounding the AIDS epidemic, providing education and resources continue to be of great importance. Likewise, coming together as a community provides empowerment and hope as we strive to bring an end to AIDS in future generations.”

This tied directly into one of the San Diego LGBT Center’s main objective for this fundraiser, which is encompassed by their #BeTheGeneration campaign. The purpose of this campaign is about being a part of a new generation that stops the spread of HIV infection.

Numerous organizations and businesses, such as Burger Lounge, Wells Fargo and The Hillcrest Pharmacy, came out in support of the walk by joining as groups to be sponsored by their friends and families. These organizations joined together to each raise money for their overall goals. One of the most exciting parts of the AIDS Walk is setting a goal for your group for how much money to raise and crossing the finish line to donate the money.

The purpose of the event is to raise money and to honor those who’ve lost their fight with the disease. At the event site, a memorial in the form of an AIDS quilt served to eternalize those who passed away during the AIDS epidemic in the 1980s.

The fundraiser is a tribute to the past and a toast to the future. Events like these tether the community together and bring a sense of hope to those who know their fight isn’t over.