Softball falls short in doubleheader against San Diego Christian

Hannah Snider, Sports Editor

CSUSM’s softball team loses second doubleheader of the season leaving their overall record 0-3.

On Feb. 4 the Cougars played their first home game against San Diego Christian, the first game ending 3-8 and the second game ending in a close 3-4 loss for CSUSM.

The Cougars started off strong and kept their spirits high; the bench erupted with cheering and encouraging chants filling the stadium each time the Cougars batted.

The Hawks came out ready to go and quickly gained the lead 6-1 in the top of the fourth; however, the Cougars retaliated with a bunt by junior Lindsay Cerulle allowing senior Breanna Stiles and Senior Holly Fauria to run to home making the score 6-3. Fauria went 2-for-4 with just one run and Stiles went 2-for-3 with two runs.

Despite the push the Cougars ultimately lost 8-3 in the first game.

“These losses hurt, but we grow as a team, we talk as a team and become closer; just making those connections is super important and help us,” said Stiles.

During the second game, the Cougars picked up the energy but couldn’t get ahead and trailed behind the Hawks once more until the fourth inning when they gained a one-point lead 3-2.

However, the Hawks quickly shut them down with two runs in the top of the fifth inning gaining a lead they would not let up, ending the game 4-3.

“We are a young team and knew there would be growing pains, to tighten up our defense get out those butterflies…but we have all the ingredients; we just aren’t baked yet” said Coach Laurie Nevarez after the game. “Every single game gets a little easier for us; every single game, our freshmen are getting a little better.”

The Cougars next home game will be against Cal State Bernardino on Feb. 17 at 12 p.m.