Get Out! Batiquitos Lagoon

The+trails+at+the+Batiquitos+Lagoon+by+Ali+Seagle.+
The trails at the Batiquitos Lagoon by Ali Seagle.

By: Alison Seagle

Nestled between Carlsbad and Encinitas, the Batiquitos Lagoon offers home to many birds, fish and other wildlife as tides sneak in and out of the lagoon under Interstate 5.

Hikers can often catch a glimpse of many of these critters while meandering the trails and enjoying the fresh air.

There are many trails to venture out along around the Batiquitos Lagoon, but the main trail has its trailhead at the end of Gabbiano Lane. That’s also where the Nature Center is located. There is only a handful of parking spots specifically for the lagoon, but plenty of street parking is available.

From the trailhead, the trail turns from paved to dirt past the Nature Center, but it is well maintained and relatively flat. A bit down the path the trail begins to run along the Aviara Golf Course but not close enough to have to worry about stray golf balls. At this point the whoosh of cars from the 5 dissipates into the chirps of birds sitting in the trees. The distance from the trailhead to the turnaround is 1.66 miles.

There are other places along the trail that offer access points and parking. There are no restrooms or water along the trails, but there are plenty of benches for resting and observing the wildlife. More information about the Batiquitos Lagoon Foundation and the Nature Center can be found at www.batiquitosfoundation.org.CAM01481CAM01488