Guilty plea in ‘sexploitation’ case

By Katlin Sweeney

Editor-in-Chief

CSUSM student Jared James Abrahams, 19, was arrested for allegedly hacking into the webcams and computers of multiple women and has officially plead guilty.

According to the FBI, Abrahams was in court the morning of Nov. 12 for a change of plea hearing that resulted in his confession to having committed the four violations he was charged for in the plea agreement. In a statement released to the public by the FBI and U.S. Attorney’s Office on Sept. 26, 2013, Abrahams was accused of allegedly gaining unauthorized access to multiple women’s computers and infecting their computers with malware. He reportedly hacked their online accounts to extort them into sending naked photos and video, threatening to post those photos online unless his victims agreed to a five minute Skype session with him.

The suspect’s victims allegedly included women from all over the world, including southern California, Canada, Russia and Ireland. According to the FBI, these victims included Miss Teen USA Cassidy Wolf and one minor.
While it has been widely reported that Abrahams is a computer science major, CSUSM university officials confirmed that he is actually a second-year psychology major. In a brief interview with The Cougar Chronicle on Nov. 18, the FBI stated that Abrahams will remain on bond until he faces sentencing. It is scheduled to take place at 9:30 a.m. on March 17, 2014.