Don’t tolerate intolerance: The true meanings of “diversity,” “tolerance”

By Caleb Hogland

Diversity is a word that people love to throw around. Schools, teams and workplaces pride themselves in having diversity. But what does it really mean?

Diversity is simply the condition of something being composed of differing elements. But how do we deal with diversity when it comes to the passion-filled topic of religion?

Anyone who is somewhat educated in religion, and not only makes the blanket statement that all religions teach the same essential things, knows that there are many differing and contradictory claims amongst religions.

Therefore, not all religions can be valid. Some must be wrong if others are to be right. Of course, they can all be wrong; however, they cannot all be right. So how do we coexist with the people whose core beliefs are different than our own?

First, we need to understand what “tolerance” is. Second, we need to exercise it.

Tolerance is possibly one of the most misunderstood words in today’s culture. To tolerate something or someone does NOT mean to support or accept them.

To tolerate something means to allow or endure what is difficult or disagreeable. We do not tolerate people we agree with. How could we? We agree with them. We can only tolerate the people and beliefs we dislike or disagree with.

When it comes to religion and moral convictions, there are those who voice their opinions and those who do not like to hear particular views. Simply because someone disagrees with the religious or moral conviction does not mean they are intolerant.

By using correct reasoning, and of course proper manners and behavior, we can even be tolerant when claiming one person is right and the other is wrong about their beliefs. The person who is INTOLERANT is the one who does not allow someone to voice his or her opinion at all.

Everyone has a right to their beliefs and convictions and they have a right to voice them. Everyone is biased in one-way or another, but they still have a right to engage in discussions about life, morals and religion.

To insult someone for their beliefs, to call them names such as intolerant or bigot, and push them off the floor without allowing them to express their view is not tolerance. It is still not tolerant even if these personal attacks are done in defense of another view, which may not be your own.

CSUSM is a place for higher learning; it is not a place for indoctrination. All people and their differing cultures are welcomed to come to this safe place and express their diverse religious views. The only way any environment can truly be safe for religious diversity and serious questions of life and morality is if people are actually tolerant. (Or “if people actually understand tolerance.”)

So, endure with dignity. Endure with respect. Disagree as you like, and learn tolerance if you have not already, because around here, we don’t tolerate people who are intolerant.