PROWLIN’ THE KITCHEN: Simply Sizzlin’

BY JENNA JAUREGUI
DIGITAL MEDIA MANAGER

Well, midterms are all wrapped up and if you’re looking for a way to celebrate the bright horizon of Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, look no further than the sleek black surface of your frying pan.  A stir-fry is one of the easiest one-dish meals to make, and the ingredient list is limited only to the corners of your imagination.  Most stir-fry recipes include squash, vegetables, and meat or soy tofu, rendering them a healthy, delicious dinner that takes very little time to cook.  The wrist-flick maneuver of seasoned fryers comes with practice—first-timers may want to try their hand with a spatula for fear of sending chopped vegetables and hot oil avalanching out of the pan and onto the stovetop.
The key to a good stir-fry is the amount of oil—less is more!  Start with a small drizzle and add more if you need it as the food cooks.  Too much oil will turn everything soggy and limp.  A stir-fry can be served over rice or wrapped in warm tortillas.  Grab your friends and roommates and share in the cooking, or impress a date with a meal you prepared yourself.  Here is a Cookin’ Cougar stir fry recipe to get you going.

Sunflower Stir-Fry

* Sunflower Oil
* 2 Tbs fresh Rosemary herb
* 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
* 1 zucchini, sliced
* 1 yellow squash, sliced
* Cherry tomatoes
* Raw cubed chicken breast
* ¼ cup toasted sunflower seeds

Start by pouring a small amount of oil in the pan and heat over medium flame.  Add raw chicken and sear until lightly cooked on outside.  Add rosemary, garlic, zucchini, and squash.  Toss until vegetables are al dente.  Add tomatoes and cover with lid until tomatoes pop.  Toss in sunflower seeds and mix over heat until chicken is done.  Serve in whatever manner you please.  The sizzling scents are sure to attract hungry neighbors, so make sure you have enough for a second go-round!  Happy frying!