Campus events aim to increase student involvement

By Sydney Shabacker

Senior Staff Writer

CSUSM traveled back in time and revisited the 1990s, with its hallmark plaid clothes, denim, Capri Sun drinks and ring pops as a way of providing its students with an enjoyable social opportunity with their fellow Cougars.

Hosted by Associated Student Inc. (ASI) and the University Student Union Activities Board (USUAB), the ’90’s themed dance was held on Jan. 23 at the Clarke Field House and was the first of many events that these organizations plan to promote this semester.

ASI and USUAB are the lead coordinators for fun events on campus, such as last semester’s Masquerade Ball. By collaborating with other on-campus organizations, they plan to hold a variety of events that will offer CSUSM students affordable, safe and interesting entertainment.

ASI Representative Hannah Hawker explains the importance of these events and the goals that they are trying to achieve.

“We want to gauge the college culture, to see if it’s changing. We want to attract all types of students. We’ve noticed that the students, underclassmen fresh from high school especially, really like the dances. It’s a free and/or cheap way to have fun,” Hawker said.

Past events, such as the CSUSMixer last semester, have proven to be successful by bringing together a diverse crowd of students for fun mingling.

USUAB representative Kadie Heck also comments on the events that are geared towards student interaction, specifically organized dances.

“For those reminiscing about prom night, it’s a good time to get formal and have fun,” Heck said.

Outside of dances, these organizations are putting together many other events as well. There are free movies the first Tuesday of every month at Edwards Cinema, USU excursions (like Disneyland last semester), Cougar Eats, a Valentine’s Day movie and many more events.

Organizers hope that students will take advantage of these events and that they will also take the time to contact them to give instructional feedback.

“It’s a community effort.  We want to know what you [the students] think,” Heck said.

Letting the organizing committees know there is minimal interest in some events will allow them to concentrate efforts on what more people enjoy.

“We want everyone’s college experience to be the best we can make it,” Heck said.

For students who want to put their social or organizational skills to good use, ASI and USUAB are fun options for community involvement. The student population is better represented with an increase of involvement and feedback.

“We want students to know that we’re a resource,” Hawker said.

College is a time to have fun, meet more people and learn about new things you may enjoy.  Have fun at these safe and affordable events, find other people who enjoy the same things as you do and let ASI and USUAB know how they can make these events even better.

For the full event schedules, visit http://www.csusm.edu/usu/usuab/UpcomingEvents.html for USUAB and http://www.csusm.edu/asi/events/ for ASI.