High Aspirations for Lady Cougars

By Erik Sandoval

Sports Assistant

The Lady Cougars have great aspirations for the upcoming season and why not? They wrapped up a successful 2014 campaign with 39 wins and also earned their fifth straight trip to the opening round of the NAIA tournament.

The squad is led by former UCLA National Softball champion, Head Coach Laurie Nevarez. This marks her second season in charge of the program and Coach Nevarez is very confident about this season’s group of players.

“This year we’re taking it up a notch. We have some fantastic returners, leaders on the field who have really bought into what we’re doing so they are able to teach that to our newcomers,” Coach Nevarez said. “I think we have strong newcomers, transfers and freshmen as well, this team has a better dynamic compared to last year and that is important as we unite together collectively as a unit. We have added about three pretty fantastic players, so I think we are going to be stronger this season and exciting to watch.”

The team returns many accomplished and experienced players including A.I.I. Conference honorees, Tani Leasau, Melyssa Bellamy, Ashley Dagenais and Katie Wilkinson. Senior second baseman, Olivia Lucatuorto has been a starter the prior three seasons with the team and she intends to end her last hurrah on a high note.

“I’m sad about this being my last season, but I am also excited because I feel like this will be our best season,” Lucatuorto said. “I want be a leader for everyone and step up for everyone here and I think we can all be successful as a team.”

The Lady Cougars’ first home game will be Saturday, Feb. 7 against Cal State San Bernardino.