Creative Writing is must-take class

Photo by Noelle Friedberg

By Caleb Hogland

Every semester you wonder what classes to take. You weigh your options of what you need and what you would like. Sometimes there are multiple options and the only deciding factor is what works for your schedule.

It is time for a change. Being a college student often means a stressful race to the finish line. “You have four years so don’t mess around.” Forget that.

College is a time for education and experimentation, so take a class that you will truly enjoy and use wherever you go.  Creative Writing 325 is a must-take class for everyone it is available to.

This is an introductory course where students learn the basic techniques to writing fiction and poetry.

Create something beautiful. Create something weird. Create a story or poem by painting with words as if every keystroke was a brush stroke. Create and learn how to better your artwork.

Literature is art too. The artwork of paintings, music, movies and novels transports millions into another world and time. Learn how to do this. If you already are, then learn how to do it better.

If you ever daydream then this is the class for you. This class will teach you the techniques and hone your skills to draw out those dreams. What good is a dream that can’t be made real or shared?

If you like telling stories, then take a class that will make you a better storyteller. This class will help you consider all the important elements that make up stories and how to put them together.

All the instructions are completely helpful and practical. Not a minute goes to waste in teaching. Lecture days are simple cut and dry, right to the point. Do x, y and z. Here is why, and here is the effect.

Look around; look at every funny-looking and good-looking student. Everyone has their own world they want to create and share. Being in a creative writing class gives you the privilege of peering into other students’ minds and hearts.

This class brings students together like no other. Students present and share their art in a safe environment to their fellow peers. Their peers first compliment on things done well and then give their opinion on what they felt did not work.

The professor then masterfully guides and moves along the conversation by helping students articulate, in a non-offensive way, their critique of the presented work.

Just like any writing class, students receive feedback from the professor so they can improve their work.

For the final project, students are allowed to reuse a previous work once they have incorporated the professor’s comments and techniques they learned throughout the course.

More than learning to write and present your art, students are required to go to poetry or book readings. While requirements usually come off as negative things, these readings expose you to the world of literature in a more immediate way.

Think of your favorite book; now imagine sitting in front of the author as they read a passage to you. J. K. Rowling might not be available, but students will still get the chance to see and meet upcoming and famous writers.

Creative writing is not for everyone. It is not for people who don’t dream or daydream. It is not for people who don’t like movies, music, novels, plays or paintings.

Take this class even if you don’t need it. Step out of your comfort zone and learn to write something you will want to share.