Bae & Fleek

Words that are not as cool as they Sound

Joshua D. Copeland, Opinion Editor

Most of you have a “potty-mouth” and you don’t even realize it.

There are many popular trending catch-phrases that control most of the conversations of today’s society.  Because of this, people have been falling into the trap of sounding dumb in hopes of sounding cool.  Prime example: adding the words “bae” and “fleek” into their vernacular.

A majority of the youth today would argue that these words are completely harmless.  Many familiarize themselves with “bae” as the affectionate acronym.

“I’m pretty sure it’s an acronym for ‘Before Anybody Else,’” says Enrique Ramirez, a Health and Science major.

“It’s short for ‘babe’ or ‘baby,’”  Brian Sanchez, a Kinesiology student, said.

Meanwhile, the phrase “on fleek” is supposed to be a phrase preserved for whenever you describe yourself or your belonging as flawless, or perfect

“I think the term means its ‘on point,’” says Jason Luu, a Mass Media major. “It’s perfect.”

“I like to use it [fleek] for my eyebrows,” says Amanda Salario, a Liberal Studies major. “So I’m saying my eyebrows are looking good, or on point.”

Here’s why these words come with a smell.

According to the UrbanDictionary.com, “bae” means poop in Danish and is “also used by people who think it means baby, sweetie etc.”  So every time you think you’re calling your girlfriend/boyfriend or partner an affectionate name, you’re actually calling them the synonym of defecation.

And if you thought “bae” was bad, the word “fleek” is even worse.  UrbanDictionary.com reveals that word is actually a mixture of farting and “gleeking,” an action that WikiHow.com defines as “the act of stimulating the salivary glands underneath your tongue into spitting a concentrated jet of pure saliva…” In other words, “fleek” is nothing more than a wet fart.

Since when is it cool to refer with the toilet whenever you talk about the person you’re dating, or describe yourself with confidence? Would people realize just how dumb these sound when they tell stories of how they fell in love with their poop; or ridiculous it is to compare a newly purchased outfit to a freshly-wetted fart?

These words may not seem so bad at first.  But in the great words of the legendary rap group OutKast: when you lean a little closer, these “roses really smell like boo-boo” – literally. Just because they sound cool, doesn’t mean they’re as cool as they it sound.