POST HOLIDAY BLUES

BY  REBEKAH GREEN

PRIDE STAFF WRITER

The holiday break is a time to celebrate. People, for all sorts of reasons, express excitement over holiday traditions, family gatherings, or excitement over the Winter Break.

For many though, the holidays arrive with an unwelcome guest: the holiday blues. These blues seem like an issue easily remedied, but in many cases, it can lead to much more serious problems. The stress of holiday shopping, a whirlwind of family gatherings and the inability to visit family and can be a couple of factors that accumulate to holiday blues. Particularly with students, the stress of dealing with the end of the semester added to these issues can easily contribute to the blues.

A good source to seek for help for the holiday blues is the Student Health & Counseling Services, which provides counseling and medical services to students, located across from campus along Craven Road.

According to The National Mental Health Association, some effects of the holiday blues include over-eating, drinking, sleeping problems and other issues that can cause bodily and emotional discomfort. A large amount of those afflicted with holiday blues experience it following the new year.  Psychology Today lists a few ways to lessen the blues this season including making sure not to set too busy a schedule especially in the already hectic times of the winter season, and remembering that holidays always change each year, and nothing will stay the same, therefore try to accommodate new plans/activities for the winter break each year.

There are plenty of ways to get involved during the holidays too: charity events, local Christmas events, and many forms of community service.

The holiday blues are common in individuals, but from these blues stems a more serious issue. The National Institute of Mental Health, lists Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) as one of the major forms of depression. It states that this disorder takes effect during the winter season, primarily due to the fact that there is less sunlight. Depression, unlike the common blues, is something that may need more attention than simple remedies. Seeking help is not something to be ashamed of. In the end one can only benefit from ridding of the winter blues.

Another cure for the common holiday blues has no price attached. Maintaining a positive attitude is a very common and often easy way to overcome difficult times. Remember that the holidays do not have to be hectic and stressful or lonely and sad. Create schedules that work well with your time. Seek out activities on campus, within, or around the community.