Black Student Union hosts Black History Month Festival

Shannon Gallacher, Assistant Arts & Entertainment Editor

With February marking the celebration of Black History Month, CSUSM’s Black Student Union (BSU) hosted a festival to celebrate African American culture on Feb. 18.

The festival consisted of dance performances, free food and information on various clubs and organizations to commemorate African American culture with all members of campus.

The event kicked off with music, a double­-dutch contest and a spectacular performance by CSUSM’s Tahitian and Hula Club.

The fun continued as the BSU Step Team took the stage to perform a routine that enthralled the audience with their fast-paced movements and synchronization. Following the Step Team, the CSUSM Breakers got the party started with their incredible enthusiasm and fancy footwork.

Some CSUSM students promoted their rap group by performing one of their songs, rapping relatable lyrics to a catchy beat.

CSUSM fraternity The Omegas put on quite a show as they chanted their fraternity’s mantra while grooving with one another in the center of a ring of onlookers.

Performing near the end, Danza Folklorica Tukwut drew a lot of attention with their colorful dresses and fluid movements. Finally, Oceanside based rapper M­D.O.T. closed out the hour with his hit song, “No Squares in My Circle.”

The BSU put on an excellent event that captured the attention of many students.

“It was privilege to witness performances that made me appreciate my culture and roots even more,” said junior and Alpha Psi Rho President Joshua Foronda.

“It’s really awesome that although it’s a BSU event and it’s Black History Month, they shared the spotlight,” said senior Faatauvaa Wong.

The Black History Month Festival was the perfect event to bring awareness, education and excitement to students and faculty.