STILL CATCHING THEM ALL: THE RELEVANCE OF POKEMON TO COLLEGE STUDENTS

REBEKAH GREENE

Pokémon – the title really is universal when one takes into account the worldwide phenomenon it has become since its humble beginnings as a video game series released in Japan for the Nintendo Game Boy in 1995. Created by Satoshi Tajiri, Pokémon grew into five generations of game series –most recently the Black and White versions, which sold over one million copies in the U.S. alone on its first day of release. The franchise also spawned an (ongoing) anime series, trading card game, manga series and many other forms of entertainment and merchandise. Many people associate Pokémon with their childhood, particularly the 1990s, when it emerged.

“Personally, Pokémon is a reminder of my childhood and how easy and light things were back then,” student Zerlina Clementsmith said.

Then, why are college students still into the games? What makes them so enjoyable and keeps Pokémon relevant now that we are older?

“It’s nostalgic,” student Kevin Chatham said. “It’s something that a lot of us shared when we were younger, and being able to be a child again is awesome. Plus, it’s great when people can be themselves, [connecting] on something fun like catching them all,” he continued.

One of the things that keep players involved in the games is the level of interaction between other players. It makes the game more of an experience, one that involves managing, building and improving your skills as a trainer.

“There’s a lot more strategy and for some of the older kids, I think that’s what entices them,” said student Ashley Renteria.

If anything, the experience of playing these games changes as one grows older, from that of imaginative fun to careful planning and strategy building.

Pokémon is not the only franchise that caters to fans of all ages and certainly will not be the last. The wide distribution of merchandise, especially video games, opens the doors for connections amongst friends, fans and players from all over the world. The range of elements the games cater to, like tactics and strategy skills, meshes in an environment mixed with fun and social connectivity. These features make the Pokémon games worthwhile entertainment for kids and college students alike.

“All in all, Pokémon has been something dear to everyone’s hearts,” Renteria continued. “Whether you play competitively or just for the fun of it, it’s nice to see the inner-geek in everyone.”

Photo courtesy of buffcorp.com