CSUSM WELCOMES CHANGE: 4TH ANNUAL SOCIAL JUSTICE AND EQUITY SYMPOSIUM

LEXI POLLARD

This Thursday, April 7, the Social Justice and Equity Project hosts the 4th Annual Social Justice and Equity Symposium on our campus. This event takes place from 11 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. in the Clarke Field House and is free of charge. Online registration is required and is found online at CSUSM’s Diversity, Social Justice and Equity Project webpage.  In addition to free admission, free parking and free refreshments, the organization plans to give free gifts on the day of the event to attendees who register in advance.

However, the most interesting aspects of the symposium are not the appealing free incentives. Concurrent sessions focusing on themes of social justice and equity on campus and in the community begin the event. Brainstorming and participation enable guests to actively participate in the discussions.

Of course, the discussions and intention of the event cannot be fully understood without a firm grasp on the meaning of equity. According to Merriam-Webster’s dictionary.com, equity is, “justice according to natural law or right.” Therefore, equity is a significant issue on both our campus and the community. This event presents an opportunity to express concerns and find solutions.

With the term equity now defined, previous knowledge about social justice and equity issues help to educate one before attending the symposium. At the event, keynote speaker Ashley Walker, former Executive Director of the San Diego Human Relations Commission, plans to share a lecture about working together to promote social justice in communities. As a recipient of the ACLU Helen Marston award in 2009 and the Susan B. Anthony Award from the National Organization of Women, Walker strives to promote respect, understanding and protection of basic human rights in San Diego communities. Walker’s lecture will conclude the symposium.

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter,” Martin Luther King Jr. once said.  Social justice and equity matter and the involvement of students and our community may change circumstances on these issues. The Social Justice and Equity Symposium presents students with a chance to understand the roles social justice and equity play in our community while productively searching for solutions to the issues.

Photo courtesy of cvatd.fsu.edu