NINTENDO’S LATEST IN TECHNOLOGY: THE 3DS

A LOOK AT THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY’S NEWEST INNOVATION

CHRIS GIANCAMILLI
MEDIA MANAGER

3D is now in the palm of your hand, since Nintendo recently released their new 3DS handheld gaming system. The 3DS features 3D without the need for any special glasses, as well as a number of upgrades to the system.

A new slider pad allows you to control characters with an analog stick much like you would on a home console. The system also features a new built-in motion sensor and gyroscope, giving gamers the ability to manipulate the game through tilting and shaking the 3DS.

The system has two screens, much like its predecessor, the DS. However, the top screen is an adjustable 3D screen and the bottom is a touch screen. The 3D slider to the right of the top screen allows users to change the depth of the 3D.

The 3DS comes packed with 11 applications. The camera app takes 3D pictures with the system’s dual cameras mounted on the back of the device. The “Face Raiders” app uses photos of people you’ve taken and places their faces on in-game enemies. The 3DS also features a “Mii Maker” app, so users can create avatars, or “Miis,” usable in games such as “PilotWings Resort.” Gamers may also place the Miis in the “StreetPass Mii Plaza,” which exchanges Mii data with other 3DS systems in the area. The Nintendo eShop also returns, in a future update, to allow gamers to purchase classic Nintendo titles.

Currently, the 3DS has 16 games available for purchase including “Super Street Fighter IV,” “Madden NFL 11,” “PilotWings Resort,” “The Sims 3” and “Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars.” Nostalgic gamers can also expect the release of updated older games over the next few months such as “Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time,” “Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater” and “Star Fox 64.”

The Nintendo 3DS system currently costs $249.99, with games priced at $39.99 at most electronics retailers.

Photos courtesy of wikimedia.org and kotaku.com.au