CELEBRATE THE ART OF CINEMA: 6TH ANNUAL STUDENT MEDIA FESTIVAL TO SHOWCASE STUDENT FILMMAKERS

SANDRA CHALMERS
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

The Student Media Festival brings together students from all different departments into one event that celebrates creativity through film production.

Student filmmakers are encouraged to submit their work for a chance to have their film screened at the Student Media Festival on May 13 at 7 p.m. in Arts 111.

Those interested can submit work through the online entry form no later than May 5, by 5 p.m. Visit www.csusm.edu/iits/support/mediaproddel/SFFentry_form for more information and a detailed list of submission requirements.

“We really want to promote the film festival and get students all over the university to participate. The deadline is fast approaching,” noted Minda Martin, a Mass Media professor and faculty support for the Student Media Festival. Other supporting faculty include professors from Visual and Performing Arts, Film Studies, Communication and Literature and Writing Studies.

Fifteen films will be officially selected and screened at the festival  out of about  75 -100 expected submissions for this year.

The jury composed of students, professor judges and industry person will discuss each film and its quality, according to its genre, and vote unanimously on which films deserve to be screened at the festival.

The jury has yet to be announced, and student jury positions are still available. Those interested must not have entered the film festival and must be available on May 6 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m for an all day event of screening and discussion.

“We don’t censor.  The jury has a wide range of viewpoints and value systems at play when selecting the work. What appears to be gratuitous to one jury member may not to another, and so we dialogue amongst ourselves,” continued Prof. Martin.  “No work is ever excluded without giving it a considered discussion, and any student whose work is excluded is free to contact the jury for feedback.”

Awards and prizes are given accordingly in categories including Best Narrative, Best Documentary, Best Editing, Best Social Justice, Most Empowering, Best Sound Design, Best Cinematography, Audience Award, Best Public Service Video, Best Experimental and Best New Media.

“We are looking for additional funds for prizes.  They are cash prizes but not determined yet,” said Prof. Martin.

CSUSM offers resources to aid in film production for students interested in starting a new video production or putting the final touches on a piece. The Media Library on the second floor of Kellogg Library features video editing equipment and rental services for all students.  For Communication and Mass Media majors, the Daniels Communication Lab offers exclusive video equipment and knowledgeable staff to help students each step of the way.  Bronner Lounge features a fashionable computer lab with state of the art film editing programs and equipment available for student use.  Friendly student workers can help filmmakers get the right equipment free of charge. VPA also carries its own extensive collection of rental equipment for video production available to students.

Prof. Martin suggests students screen their work to peers prior to submitting for the film festival.  “Show your video to as many people as you can to get honest and constructive feedback.  If it’s a comedy and people are not laughing, you need to think about why it’s not working,” Prof. Martin said.  “Don’t submit if it’s not ready.  If you made it this year and it’s not ready, submit it for next year.  We take work that has been made in the past two years.”

Photo courtesy of chicagojournal.com