HAVE YOU BEEN SEDUCED BY TWILIGHT? DR. NATALIE WILSON OPENS UP ABOUT NEW BOOK

RYAN DOWNS

The “Twilight” series books. Never, it seems, has a “saga” of books and films and their artistic merit (or lack thereof) has been so debated in popular culture, at least over the past decade. They have a target audience of pre-teens and teenagers, but women of all ages are drawn to Stephenie Meyer’s controversial franchise, leaving most of the world’s male population baffled. Do the novels really portray a valid story? Or just a way for teenage girls to live out their wildest fantasies? More importantly, is it healthy? Or has it’s portrayal of a young women and her relationships set feminism back a few years?

CSUSM’s very own Women’s Studies professor Dr. Natalie Wilson recently wrote a book on the subject titled “Seduced by Twilight: The Allure and Contradictory Messages of the Popular Saga.” The book was published March 29 of this year and is already selling out quick on Amazon.com.

Dr. Wilson’s opinion of the book series is an understanding one. She knows that it is a popular franchise, and people should be free to enjoy it. However, the novels certainly aren’t perfect, and Dr. Wilson worries that Bella’s behavior around characters like Jacob and Edward may not be setting a healthy example for young girls.

Dr. Wilson offered   The Pride some insight into the critical formation of her book.

The Pride: Why do you think its important for people to be aware of the messages in your book?

Dr. Natalie Wilson: I think it’s important to think more deeply about popular culture. This doesn’t mean that we can’t enjoy popular culture, but that it’s important to analyze the media we consume, what messages it sends, and what the relative popularity of certain types of texts/phenomenon can tell us about our world.

TP: Do you feel the school has supported you?

NW: Most definitely. I was granted an academic leave to write the book last year and was honored in the fall by being chosen to give the Faculty Colloquium presentation.

TP: What kind of response have you had about the book from the general public?

NW: It only just came out, so there are not any reviews yet. However, my blog has a lively readership and receives lots of comments. Many have noted they are glad people are analyzing the saga and its popularity. The most critical commentary has come from those who disagree with my arguments about the series have [sic] problematic representations about race, white privilege and heteronormative monogamy.

TP: Why do you think the Twilight series is so popular?

NW: I think it is popular for many reasons – at it’s heart it is a romantic tale of “true love” and we are culturally encouraged to believe in such tales by everything from Disney to so-called chick flicks – especially if we are female. I also think it speaks to a generation of readers raised in an era of abstinence only education on the one hand, and hyper-sexualized media imagery on the other. It has rightly been called “abstinence porn.” I also think it speaks to our consumer culture, emphasizing as it does a glitzy, wealthy world of vampire mansions and shiny new cars, of no monetary impediments.

“Seduced by Twilight: The Allure and Contradictory Messages of the Popular Saga” is available on Amazon, as well as its website,  seducedbytwilightbook.com.

Photo courtesy of girlwpen.com