SUMMER’S HOTTEST MOVIE DIRECTORY

RYAN DOWNS

Summer is finally here, and some of the most anticipated movies of the year are coming to a theatre near you very soon. “Thor” and “Fast Five” are already tearing up the box office, but The Pride provides a guide to the many other soon-to-be blockbusters that everybody’s looking forward to this summer.

“Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” (May 20)

The fourth film in the incredibly lucrative “Pirates” franchise doesn’t star Orlando Bloom, Kiera Knightley or any of the million subplots that plague the last two films, but it does see Johnny Depp’s long-awaited return as good old Captain Jack. Even better, the beautiful Penelope Cruz joins Jack on his search for the fountain of youth, and the return of his frequently- lost ship, the Black Pearl.

“The Hangover Part II” (May 26)

While it may seem hard to top the comedic genius of the first film, “the wolfpack” is back for more, this time on a journey to find the younger brother of Stu’s (Ed Helms) fiancée, who they lose in the middle of Bangkok after yet another night of drug-induced madness. A monkey, a Mike-Tyson face tattoo and a rumored celebrity cameo all factor into the mystery.

“Green Lantern” (June 17)

“Green Lantern” has been hotly anticipated by comic geeks the world over, partially because the titular hero is the first DC comics character beside Superman and Batman to get his own film. The film stars Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan, a playboy test pilot who becomes a superhero when he is given a powerful ring by an extraterrestrial and must use his newfound powers to protect Earth from the forces of evil.

“Cars 2” (June 24)

The first direct Pixar sequel since the Toy Story movies, “Cars 2” sees Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson) on a cross-country tour to win the prestigious World Grand Prix, while his best pal Mater (Larry, the Cable Guy) gets caught up in a world of espionage and intrigue when he is recruited as a spy.

“Transformers: Dark of the Moon” (July 1)

While a worldwide success, the second “Transformers” film wasn’t incredibly popular with critics, or Megan Fox for that matter, who left the production’s third installment. However, the trailer promises some epic action that few will be able to resist, as the Autobots race to reach an important artifact on the moon before the evil Decepticons do.

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II” (July 15)

To call the eighth Harry Potter film the most anticipated film of the summer would be an understatement, the most anticipated film of the past decade would be a more reasonable label. The final installment of the most successful film franchise, in history, picks up where the last film left off and promises to tie up all the loose ends, with lots of typically great performances and nonstop action, all in glorious 3D.

Photos courtesy of wikimedia.org