COMMUTING TO CSUSM

ROGERS JAFFARIAN
STAFF WRITER

If you haven’t paid the $338 for your campus parking permit, then taking the Sprinter could be a cost-effective alternative. Students should be aware of the temporary construction and know times and prices.

One-way Sprinter tickets are $2; tickets are $5 for an all-day pass that includes the Breeze bus system. The day pass is recommended for those that wish to ride the 340 bus from Craven Circle to Barham Dr. and La Moree Road, which runs every half hour Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.

The last westbound Sprinter departs at 8:41 p.m. from CSUSM station. The last eastbound train leaves CSUSM stations at 9:16 p.m. Service hours are extended on Friday and Saturday nights.

On the first day of every month, a subsidized CSUSM student pass is offered for $29 a month until supplies last; afterward, the price is $49. Passes run out fast, so purchase yours early at Parking and Commuter Services with valid CSUSM ID.

Travelers should be aware of Sprinter track construction that began Jan. 24. Workers will be fixing a damaged retaining wall near Rancho Oro Station. To avoid costruction, riders can take the non-stop bus between the Vista Transit Center and Oceanside Transit Center or switch trains at College Boulevard to Oceanside Transit Center with possible 15 minute delays. Students leaving CSUSM to Escondido should not be affected by delays.

Even with delays, the Sprinter is cheaper, quieter and more efficient than AM Track or Coaster. The Sprinter Light Rail is more like a trolley with its half hour stops and two-minute loading and unloading times. A one-way AM Track ticket costs $14, and a one-way ticket on the Coaster running from Oceanside to San Diego costs $5.50.

For Palomar students attending the San Marcos campus, the first couple weeks is a predatory hunt for parking spaces. The Sprinter gives them front door service at Palomar College Station. For students taking classes at Palomar’s Escondido campus on Midway and Valley Parkway, they can take Breeze buses 351 or 352 from the Escondido Transit Center.

For those who want to avoid the bus, car and Sprinter, ride your bicycle—it’s free. Staff and students who own a motorcycle or scooter and have purchased a parking pass can obtain a Locking Permit Holder. This is a high impact PVC sleeve that holds a CSUSM parking pass which locks securely around handlebars. Go to www.LoginParking.com and order Model 45 for $20.

Photo by: Rogers Jaffarian