TOP HONORS AT THE 54TH ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS

MELISSA MARTINEZ
STAFF WRITER

Not even Adele’s heartfelt speech when she won Album of the Year for her album “Rolling in the Deep” could do justice with the emotion that was felt at the 54th Annual Grammy Awards.

Just a day after the world lost six time Grammy-winning singer, Whitney Houston, the Grammy’s recognized this years top artists as audiences everywhere mourned the loss of a great one.

Along with Record of the Year, Adele took home Album of the Year for her second album, “21,” Song of the Year for “Rolling in the Deep,” Best Pop Solo Performance for “Someone Like You,” and of course, Best Pop Vocal Album for “21.”

Bon Iver, a folk band from Wisconsin took home the Grammy for Best New Artist of the Year as well as Best Alternative Music Album for their self-titled album, “Bon Iver.”

The emotional roller coaster took off when Tony Bennett won Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album for “Duets II” and alone, accepted the award for Best Pop Duo/ Group Performance for “Body and Soul,” a track he and the late Amy Winehouse recorded together.

Fortunately, Taylor Swift wasn’t interrupted as she accepted the awards for Best Country Solo Performance and Best Country Song, which both were in recognition for her single “Mean” from her album, “Speak Now.”

With that said, Kanye West won Best Rap Album for “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,” Best Rap Song for “All of the Lights,” written by West, Jeff Bhasker, Stacy Ferguson, Malik Jones and Warren Trotterv. The song also won Best Rap/Sung Collaboration. West and Jay-Z won Best Rap Peformance for their song “Otis.”

Of course, the Grammy’s wouldn’t be complete without a tribute to Grammy-winning artist Whitney Houston, who passed away on Saturday, Feb. 11. Jennifer Hudson honored her with a beautiful rendition to one of Houston’s most famous songs, “I Will Always Love You.”

If you weren’t able to catch the 54th Annual Grammy Awards, you can catch highlights, videos, performances and photos at grammy.com