“IS EVERYONE HANGING OUT WITHOUT ME? (AND OTHER CONCERNS)” BY MINDY KALING

MELISSA MARTINEZ
STAFF WRITER

“Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)” is marvelous comedic memoir written by NBC’s “The Office” actress and writer, Mindy Kaling.

She journals her various stages of childhood chubbiness and growing up with immigrant parents (her mother is a doctor and her father is an architect), Kaling recounts experiences about her childhood (when she was forced to jump off of a diving board and gashed her knee), her adolescent years (when she learned that it’s better to have just one friend who loves the same comedic skits you do) and even her adult adventures (when she met her best friends at Dartmouth and moved to New York, with a big dream and no job) and scoring her role on one of NBC’s most watched television series.

This charming series of experiences and tips include dealing with various romances, a list of a best friend’s rights and responsibilities, and the differences between men and boys, captures the audience of any reader. Whether your girlfriend wont stop quoting it or you, like me, are just curious to learn more about the woman behind her bubbly character as Kelly Kapoor on “The Office,” you’ll enjoy Kaling’s rants about her writing habits and the day she stopped eating cupcakes.

As a devoted fan of “The Offi ce,” I found the humor in this satirical collection of memories to be entertaining and unpredictable. Just when I thought it wouldn’t get funnier, I was laughing to myself. If you are unsure whether to devote so much precious time to a new book, take her advice found in the introduction, “This book will take you two days to read. Did you even see the cover? It’s mostly pink. If you’re reading this book every night for months, something is not right.”