KONY 2012: SPREADING AWARENESS OF JOSEPH KONY FOR JUSTICE IN UGANDA

MELISSA MARTINEZ
STAFF WRITER

On April 25, CSUSM’s Pre-Dental Society and Invisible Children will present a screening of Kony 2012 to spread awareness of Joseph Kony and his malicious army of the LRA (Lord’s Resistance Army) that have been abducting children for his own tactic reasons for the past 26 years.

This year, Jason Russell and the Invisible Children Foundation have taken their voices in spreading the word of Kony and their mission: to arrest him for the countless injustices he’s caused in Uganda. With creativity and perseverance, the Invisible Children Foundation has fought to bring justice to Uganda in a way that culture and society intertwine, through media. Through Facebook, a social networking site that currently has around 500 million active members, Invisible Children is spreading the word of Kony by sharing and forwarding the message, generated and narrated by Russell with occasional help from his son, Gavin. The mission revolves around the idea that to stop Kony, people must know who he is and understand his brutal actions.

On April 20, the Invisible Children Foundation plans to “Cover the Night” in cities all over the country to spread awareness of Kony to stop his 26-year-rule of abducting around 30,000 children and forcing the boys to kill their parents and join his army of the LRA (that has occasionally promoted peace) and the girls to be sex slaves.

For more information on becoming a member to support Invisible Children or to learn more about their mission, you can visit invisiblechildren.com. You can catch the screening of Kony 2012 in Arts Hall 111, April 25 from 5-7 p.m.