THE COUGAR SHUFFLE 4/17

REBEKAH GREEN
STAFF WRITER

There are still plenty of exams to study for, projects to work on and papers to write as we draw closer to the finish line as we near the end of the semester. More often than not, music can make the academic process become less painful by helping students dive into their work. Here are some tracks that could actually make you want to sit down and get things done.

“Why Georgia” by John Mayer – This track from John Mayer’s debut album is an “old” favorite, and is just familiar enough work with, even if you know all of the words and can’t help but sing along from time to time.

“No Surprises” Radiohead – One of my favorites from “Ok Computer.” The song’s hypnotic and repeating tune keeps my mind where it needs to be, whether it be a multiple-page report or a multiple-chapter reading.

“Genius Next Door” by Regina Spektor – I can’t help but feel entranced by her voice and piano every time I hear her music. When I don’t feel like busting out the classical music for working, beautiful voices with beautiful instruments tend to help concentration just as well.

“How It Ends” by DeVotchKa – I was first introduced to this song by the film “Little Miss Sunshine,” and I found the haunting strings keep me in tune to my work.

“Time” by Hans Zimmer – Instrumental music is a must for studying, especially if you find it difficult to find music with quieter vocals. Film soundtracks are a popular choice. This track is the memorable piece of music that brings the film “Inception” to a close—just the right kind of song to be playing the moment you finish that 10+ page paper.