LARRY REITZER: THE MAN BEHIND THE STORY

MELISSA MARTINEZ
STAFF WRITER

On April 12, CSUSM welcomed television writer and story editor Larry Reitzer to meet with students interested in pursuing a career in the film and television industry. After opening with his experience pitching his first successful pilot, Reitzer welcomed questions and discussed his experiences writing and story editing. His television record includes various television shows such as “Ugly Betty,” “Twins” and his current project, ABC Family’s “Melissa & Joey.”

During the Q&A following his introduction, the Brooklyn native discussed his college experience at NYU (majoring in Theater), his early career in casting and his transition into writing for television. Reitzer also discussed his venture booking an agent after pitching the idea of two men with completely different personalities, modeled after his and his brothers contrasting personas.

Although he didn’t begin his writing career until his 30s, Reitzer stressed the importance of networking as much as possible, stating that 100 percent of his networking connections were made in college. He also revealed a tip for successfully networking: traveling, stating that Los Angeles and New York were the best places to live to successfully find jobs and internship opportunities.

Reitzer also addressed many perspectives in the television industry; however, the primary focus of the lecture was writing. When Reitzer’s interest in writing fi rst sparked, he realized the best writing is produced from personal experiences. Reitzer said, “I went out and sold my life. All writing has to come from someone’s life. It doesn’t matter what kind of writing you’re doing as long as you’re coming from an honest place.”

After discussing the pre- and post-production phases of writing screenplays, pilots and manuscripts, Reitzer elaborated on the stages of casting for both television and Broadway, and the excitement of being on set with actors while watching his vision come to life. For recommendation on successfully selling a pilot, Reitzer reiterated the importance of becoming involved in local theater productions. Any way of involvement, even volunteering to usher performances and shows to be exposed to different styles of direction, as well as becoming familiarized with the environment is one of the best ways a person can successfully gain experience in the entertainment industry.

For more information on Larry Reitzer, you can subscribe to his Facebook page at facebook.com/larry.reitzer. “Melissa & Joey” airs on Wednesday’s at 8 p.m./7c on ABC Family.