NEW DEAN OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION

JESSIE GAMBRELL
STAFF WRITER

Cal State San Marcos will be opening the Markstein doors to Dr. Sharon Lightner starting July 1, who will take the seat as the new Dean of Business Administration. Lightner beat out two other highly qualified candidates with her strong commitment to students and impressive achievements.

She will be taking Interim Dean Regina Eisenbach’s place who has been the interim dean since June 2011. Dr. Dennis Guseman held the position prior to that from 2002 – 2011.

CSUSM had to find some big shoes to fill when this position came open, so the office of provost did a ‘national search’ to find our new Dean of Business. The three top candidates came to the school and each had a two-day interview to evaluate their skills and level of commitment to the school and their future job and to see what they could bring to the university.

“One of the things that really appealed to us was her commitment to the students. She also knows the area, so she has an insider’s perspective,” said Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs, Emily Cutrer. “It’s important to cast a broad net,” Cutrer continued with regard to national dean searches. “We really are looking forward to her joining our community.”

Dr. Sharon Lightner is currently The William E. Cole Director of the Charles W. Lamden School of Accountancy at SDSU. She has received many teaching awards at SDSU and the national levels throughout her career. She was also a board member for SDSU’s Beta Alpha Psi and received the prestigious AICPA/AAA Collaboration Award in her efforts to bridge business practice. She has a Bachelor of Science from the University of Montana, a Master of Science from San Diego State University, and a Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Oregon.

With Dr. Lightner’s background and with the support of the administrative staff on campus, students of business are looking forward to their new Dean.