Job prospects for graduates looking a bit brighter

Help Wanted advertisement posted in window

JESSIE GAMBRELL
STAFF WRITER

Recent surveys suggest that the hiring rate for graduating seniors will be up this year compared to last, but CSUSM seniors are still hesitant and weary about the prospects in the job market.

Job Outlook’s 2012 survey states that in 2012 employers plan to hire 9.5 percent more new graduates compared to 2011.

“Employers will continue to be selective which means that they are more likely to hire graduates with more experience, higher levels of motivation, and a focused interest in their industry,” Mike Profita, former Director of Career Services at Skidmore College, said on About.com.

The best tip for students about to graduate is to visit your university’s career center. Career centers provide a variety of resources for students including career counseling, internship listings, access to recruitment centers and job networking assistance.

“I’m looking (for a job), but haven’t found any. The Career Center isn’t very helpful, and they should put more effort into helping us out,” an anonymous CSUSM senior said.

With the unemployment rates close to ten percent, it is now a necessity to search for a job before graduation comes around. Before, students would just wait till after their commencement to look for a job.

“I was originally going to become a teacher, but my sister got her credential and had no job prospects, so she advised me to change my major. So I went into cosmetology and am going to work at a salon,” graduating senior Cabria Camp said.

“I’m relying on moving up in my job now, maybe get an internship. I think that it is kind of what you have to do these days,” senior Brooke Miller said.

According to Campuscareercenter.com, the key to a successful and profitable career search is research and networking. Meet with influential people, get the right information, and get good leads. Ask yourself what you would really like to do and see yourself doing. Find contacts in the area that you would like to work. Get help from people with ‘influence’.

“I am very excited (about graduating), but I think I am more excited about being an alum and coming back to the CoBA program and give back what they gave to me,” graduating senior Jessica Kates said.