Top 5 movies for the recent college graduate

KYLE M. JOHNSON
STAFF WRITER

1.“Reality Bites” (1994)

While it is often marketed as a romantic-comedy, this film follows aspiring documentarian Lelaina (Winona Ryder), as she seeks to make meaning of her postgraduate life with the help of her friends and roommates. With an honest plot and a great supporting cast (Ethan Hawke, Ben Stiller and Janeane Garofalo), “Reality Bites” stands as one of the most important films of the 90s.

2.“The Graduate” (1967)

Considered incredibly risqué at the time of its release, this classic stars Dustin Hoffman as Benjamin Braddock, a recent college graduate with no idea what to do with his life. Ignoring the pressure from his parents to take his future more seriously, Benjamin spends his free time having an affair with the middle-aged Mrs. Robinson, and lounging in the pool. When Mrs. Robinson’s daughter comes to town, and Benjamin is encouraged to date her, things get more complicated than they already are.

3.“Into the Wild” (2007)

This film tells the true story of Christopher McCandless, a recent college graduate who donates his savings, abandons his car and destroys his identification before venturing out to hitchhike across the United States towards his ultimate goal of isolation in the Alaskan wildlife, away from society. The lives he touches and the beauty he explores contribute towards an incredible journey with a devastatingly, tragic ending.

4. “With Honors” (1994)

While the graduation doesn’t come until the ending, this film is a notable one for recent college graduates. Brendan Fraser stars as Monty, a Harvard undergrad whose thesis makes its way into the hands of local homeless man, Simon (Joe Pesci). A deal is made: for every favor Monty performs for Simon, he can have one page of his thesis back. What follows is a mentor-pupil relationship between the two, which promises life lessons and profound wisdom.

5.“St. Elmo’s Fire” (1985)

Featuring many members of the 1980s’ “Brat Pack,” this film tells the story of a group of friends who struggle with their friendships, romantic relationships and futures following college. While the acting is at times melodramatic, the themes are sincere and the relationships are honest, providing an array of characters with which to identify.