Students raise money to keep art in San Diego classrooms

MORGAN HALL
STAFF WRITER

Instead of spending their Friday night enjoying a movie or out with friends, the students of VPA 380-17 attempted to keep art alive.

“It was amazing that everyone worked together and the event turned out to be a big success,” participant Brenton Lake said.

Starting on Friday, April 20 and ending April 21, the CSUSM students of “Art and Social Change” organized, hosted and curated a student run art show themed “Keep Art Alive,” where works of art provided by students from High Tech were auctioned off to the highest bidder.

“I’m amazed with the amount of money we raised. I think for sure, that was our biggest accomplishment,” participant Tiffany Jackman said.

By the end of the event, the class had auctioned off all 26 student art pieces and raised just over $800 to be donated to the CSUSM based CenterARTES organization which is headed by Dr. Merryl Goldberg and supports and encourages arts education and arts advocacy in San Diego County schools and communities.

Planning began late February with the help of Marilyn Huerta when the CSUSM art galley in Restaurant Row had an open space to display student work. After guidance from their professor Kristen Moss, the class decided to partner with a group of art students from High Tech High to display and auction off their artwork. Planning took place during the Tuesday and Thursday class meetings and on the Cougar Courses forums.

“I think it was pretty ambitious of our class to plan an art gallery event and work with teen art students outside of class, while still juggling homework and [our] personal lives,” participant Laura Musgrove said.

To make sure that each member of the class could contribute to the event, the students formed several different committees, which had a select group traveling to High Tech High to work with the students one-on-one and give advice on student artwork, ideas and concepts.

“Knowing that all of their work was bought is really going to make them feel great and physically see the importance of art,” participant Kevin O’Neil said.

The money raised will be formally presented to Dr. Goldberg before the end of the semester.

Photos: The “Keep Art Alive” event had a live band, several raffles, free food and several different types of student artwork. Students and parents from High Tech High and CSUSM, San Marcos community members and even Jim Eubank, the original founder of Restaurant Row, came out to donate and support the event. Photos by Morgan Hall.