Fall into step with Off Centre dance performances

Dance instructor Karen Schaffman performing in 2010

JESSIE GAMBRELL
STAFF WRITER

This year marks the tenth year for the faculty and students producing “Off Centre,” an annual production beginning in 2003. “Off Centre” consists of three different “lectures” of three to 10 minute contemporary dance performances from the dance workshop held by Dr. Karen Schaffman.

The performances will be presented in groups. The first performance by eight students will be hosted by Dance 301 instructor, Anya Cloud. The second by instructor, Nancy Boskin- Mullen will be a piece entitled, “I am Sam,” being a more family dynamic type of scene. The third and largest yet for CSUSM with 25 students will be “Ballet Folkloico,” having two pieces on Cesar Chavez plaza.

“It is a very different show this year. It is very kinesthetic with many unique pieces. This year I would say that there are about 60 students participating in the Off Centre performances. This is the ‘mainstay’ for the dance minor,” said dance instructor, Dr. Karen Schaffman.

The performance will be held on Thursday, May 3 and Friday, May 4 at 7 p.m. in Arts building, room 111. There is a $5 suggested donation that will go toward the Dance Foundation. It is estimated that the shows will be sold out in since almost every show has sold out since it first started. All lighting will be conducted by Professor Karin Filijan’s TA 305 class, making the production a “student run” presentation.

“I am super excited. This will be my first spring dance performance, so it is a lot of work, but I think it will pay off. We have a lot of really good pieces this year,” said dancer and choreographer, Sarah Taylor.

The dances will be contemporary, which is defined as “postmodern sensibility, body awareness, and a blend of different dance practices combined,” according to Dr. Schaffman.