Prowlin’ the Kitchen: Not Your Mama’s Popcorn Balls

By Jenna Jauregui

Drawing by Chelsea Jauregui

It’s time again for ghoulish goodies and scary soirées!  What sort of snacks will you bring to this year’s round of Halloween bashes?   Skip the chips and surprise your friends with a homemade batch of popcorn balls.

A Halloween favorite that goes back generations, popcorn balls are an easy treat to make for a party.  Making them with friends or family makes the process even more fun!  This recipe modifies the traditional use of processed corn syrup by substituting a more natural alternative—sweetened brown rice syrup.  Its honey-caramel flavor pairs perfectly with the brown sugar, resulting in a less-guilt version of this sticky Halloween staple.  Those with braces, beware!

1/4 cup unpopped corn kernels

1/4 cup sunflower or other cooking oil

1/4 cup sweetened brown rice syrup (available at health food stores)

3 Tbps brown sugar

2 Tbps water

pinch of salt

butter

Heat oil in a large pot with a lid.  Place one corn kernel in center of pot and cover, listen until it pops.  Add the rest of the kernels and cover.  Shake over flame until all kernels are popped.  Pour into bowl and set aside.  To the pot, add the brown rice syrup, water, brown sugar, and salt, stirring consistently over flame.  Boil rapidly for about 30 seconds.  Remove from heat, immediately add popcorn to pot, and coat evenly with mixture.  Working quickly, grease your hands with butter and squeeze handfuls of coated popcorn into balls.   Place on waxed paper to harden.

Try adding other things like crushed almonds, granola, and chocolate chips, if you want.  Ciao, my popcorn pretties!  Happy Halloween from the Cookin’ Cougar.