POLITICAL CORNER: Understanding the party divide

By Wendolyn Serrano

With the presidential election coming our way, there has been much debate over what Republicans and Democrats actually believe in. Especially in today’s political climate, it is a bit challenging to distinguish the philosophies.

College students are particularly affected by federal policies and the stance of the Commander-in-Chief. Though there is a significant difference in tone between the Democratic and Republican platforms, there are also shared elements between both parties.

In the right corner we have the Republican Party, which is conservative. Republicans favor a smaller government and are for individual and states’ rights. Republicans would also tend to favor more defense spending. They would rather have private charities help those in need rather than federal programs. In the left corner stands the Democratic Party, which is more liberal in its political views.

Democrats believe in a larger federal government and attempt to implement taxes to help the less privileged. Most of the economic theory comes from the 20th century philosopher Maynard Keynes. Keynes and Democrats believe that government plays a role in regulating the business cycle.

The hot, drug war topic is one in which both the Republicans and Democrats agree on. Even though Democrats are much more tolerant with the use of recreational drugs, both parties support with great enthusiasm the War on Drugs (WOD).

Generalizing about particular groups can be a dangerous game since there are exceptions to the rule. However, this is where Republicans and Democrats stand on certain topics. Whether on the left or the right, voting is an important way for one to voice their opinion, as a college student and as an American. Voting takes place on Nov. 6, 2012.